Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cards-Cards-Cards

The last few days I have been busy making cards for the Embroiderers Guild exhibition.
I recently asked people at the guild if they had any embroidery samples or little cross stitch embroideries that they didn't want if they would like to donate them to the sales table and I would make them into cards for the Guild to sell at the exhibition.
So far I have made about 40 cards.
Here are some of the samples that I received--they are not very big but I am able to use them.



And the cards that I made them into------




The small embroidery on the centre one is only an inch square.

The card below is from a small sample that a lady had used when teaching someone to do Silk Ribbon embroidery------



Then there were a lot of Hardanger samples also from the lady who was a teacher.
The cloth was the one she did all her samples on and I couldn't bring myself to throw it out so I cut out all the little sections and added them to cards.




Then there were embroideries on painted vliesofix background fabrics ---





Finally there are some embroideries depicting an Australian sunset.
One of the members painted the Aida cloth in the orange tones that depict the sunsets in the west and you can see the silhouettes of the trees and birds.
Different people have embroidered these two and that is the reason these embroideries are at different heights.






Now I have to start making my own cards to sell---it's a good thing that my Mojo has returned.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

Absolutely lovely, Doreen! Those little bits might have languished in the bottom of someone's needlework bag, but you have turned them into works of art. Well done!

fabriquefantastique said...

Perfect recycling

Janet said...

You are so talented! What a wonderful way to use all those little bits of embroidery.

PS - did you make one for yourself?? Maybe a birthday card!

Gina E. said...

They look wonderful, Doreen! Can your readers buy some from you before you put them out for sale at the Guild?
This is such a super idea; I also have bits and pieces of other people's sewing samples that I can't bear to throw out, and I was going to try and incorporate them into a patchwork block, but making cards is much better!

Heather said...

Gosh, you have been busy and aren't they all lovely? I specially like the Australian sunset ones.

Maggi said...

What a good idea. I bet most people have small pieces like that languishing at the bottom of a drawer. Glad that your mojo is back

Unknown said...

You have been really busy!

Penny said...

What a lovely idea and they will make beautiful gifts, hope they sell well.

Downunderdale said...

goodness you HAVE been busy - what a wonderful person you are to do this - hope it is appreciated. And good to see the mojo is back and in action.

Robin Mac said...

Wow, your mojo has returned in spades! The cards look lovely, I am sure there will be none left by the time I make it to the exhibition! Cheers