Tuesday, July 17, 2012

That's what I get-------

-----for not posting as often as I should have.
When I signed in to post today I was greeted by a whole heap of gobble-de-gook.
It has taken me ages to figure out what I had to do.
Anyway I have worked my way through the changes and I am now back at square one.
Finally I have started stitching again...
"At last" I hear you say.
But let me tell you that it has been a long process to get this far.
I have had a lot of things going on which seem to have been overwhelming me to a point that I have done nothing.
Thanks to my very smart daughter who sat me down and had a good talk with me and made me realise that I don't have to be the best at everything that I do -I just have to try my best at what I do.
And I have to learn to say no to the things that I don't want to do.
So what have I been doing?
Well back here  in March I started doing what was going to be this years piece for the Guild exhibition challenge.
It was to be a large button that I was stitching in the Yin-Yang design in colours of blue-yellow and white.
Last week I still hadn't done any more to it and I came  to the decision that it was not to be.
Recently when I was sorting through my "stuff" I discovered several black and white drawings that I had done at least 10  years ago and have decided to use one of them instead.

I traced the design onto some white fabric and have started the stitching -well I have almost finished it.
I must admit that it took me 3 attempts to get what I wanted in the end (and no I didn't finish each one as I knew after a few stitches that it wasn't what I wanted).
Hopefully I will finish it today and I will show you what it is like then.
Must go now while the mood is still with me

14 comments:

Robin Mac said...

Lovely to see what you are doing Doreen, thank heavens you are stitching again. I think I need a good talking to as well, I seem to becompletely uninspired by everything at present.....oh well, no doubt somethingwill happen some time soon. Cheers.

Monica said...

Doreen, you might not need to be the best at everything but I'm always impressed by your embroidery, both the ideas and the technical skill. I look forward to seeing your next finished work.

Penny said...

I agree with Robin, I cant really get my act together. I do a bit of this and a bit of that and wonder what I am doing it for.

Heather said...

What would we do without our smart daughters?! I have learned to follow the Amish theory that only God is perfect, so I can relieve myself of the pressure of trying to be the best.
Your drawing is delightful and I look forward to seeing it stitched. Take care and enjoy the beautiful stitching that you do.

Dorothy said...

Thankyou for sharing. I think your message hit a cord with many of us, I too have a daughter who tells me as it is (kindly)Looking forward to see your finished work, I am sure it will be wonderful as usual.

DIAN said...

Dooreen, I love the sketch and look forward to seeing how it turns out. Good to see you creating again.

Nancy said...

Oh my, Doreen, I think many of us can relate to your post. Add to it the guilt when in that "not producing anything" mode, and it's not a good place to be! I love, love your sketch and look forward to seeing the stitchery based on it. Glad you are up and running once again!

Suztats said...

Good! Glad you're back to stitching, and I look forward to seeing what you create with that cute sketch.

Stitching Lady said...

Nice to see and read you again. Like Penny wrote, I am also doing a bit here and a bit there - hording stitcheries, why? But I like to be on the way without specific aim.
Let us see something very soon.

Jen xo said...

hey doreen, glad you were able to have a little chat and see the light :) look forward to see your delightful sketch completed :)

Janet said...

There must be something in the air because I'm in a creative funk and have not been doing anything. Then I come here and learn you're having the same kind of problems. What's going on?? At least you've started something which is more than I can say for myself.

Maggi said...

Nice to know that you are stitching again Doreen. Good daughter you have there. Learning to say no is a good thing.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Daughters come in handy...sometimes all it takes is just getting a different perspective on things. Good news!

Kekoa Pika said...

I am so excited to see the result. The drawing is beautiful, can't wait to see it.
waikiki family vacation