Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pattern Darning.

Here are the samples of my first attempt at Pattern Darning.
To say that I am very pleased is an understatement--to say it was easy would be a lie-but- to say that I have enjoyed it in the end is the honest truth.
Yes my eyes hurt even with the magnifying glasses but that was because I was getting tired and wouldn't give up --nope the stubborn part of my being kept pushing me on.
I made plenty of mistakes and unpicked lots of stitches but it was all worth it in the end.
I started out using variegated Perle 8 cotton but in some of the designs it looked awful --especially the one which I eventually worked in cotton a Broder worked in the red thread on the top left.
The aqua one on the bottom left was printed wrong on the instruction sheet and the tutor said she would correct it and bring it back on Monday.
After I had completed the other five I thought that I would try to work it out for myself-which I did and I am not sure if it is correct but I think it looks ok :-))






Then when I turned the piece over to look at the back--horror of horrors I had made two mistakes on the back--see the aqua sample on the bottom.
Then I decided to work it again in a lime green coloured thread and bingo it was ok.
I also got the tail of the green thread caught in the needle of the green one on the centre left side which caused a length of thread to carry down the side.
Ah well it is only a sample and the Tutor is a friend so I don't think I will be shot at twenty paces.





You can see the long threads carried across the bottom third of the diamonds--that's a no-no--------------



This is what it is supposed to look like.



I am a happy chappy anyway.

13 comments:

Angela said...

These look fabulous. No wonder you are pleased. I'm not sure I would have the patience :)

Heather said...

No wonder your eyes were tired Doreen - these stitches are so fine and beautiful. I have enough trouble getting the front to look good without having to worry about the back being inspected as well! I can see why you are pleased with the results and your perseverance paid off big time.

Jen xo said...

id be blind too doreen.

im no good if have to keep the back neat too.... lol

Janet said...

Such teeny tiny stitches! I would never have the patience to do this but I'm glad you do because I love seeing your work. If you hadn't told me the back was "wrong" I'd never have known....I mean, it IS the back!

Stitching Lady said...

All I can think is "a yes-yes". This looks so good and oh my, if the backside is not quite what it should be.... and so what??

Annet said...

This is amazing, Doreen! And the backside is very neat!!

Sandy said...

I'd be pleased too-very nice.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

These look great! I particularly like the two on the upper left - they look so intricate. No wonder you're pleased!

sharonb said...

HI Doreen I wanted to say Great Stuff! I know you are not really an evenweave - stay between the lines sort of person and the back is great too.

Val said...

Your sample is absolutely lovely Doreen - what perserverance you have! Well worth the effort I must say - front and back.

Joei Rhode Island said...

My mother was such a perfectionist ...never had long threads that carried on the back. I'm not so polished. Very well done, Doreen.

Micki said...

Very impressive, Doreen. I don't think I would have the patience to do this kind of stitching.

Maggi said...

They look fantastic, and who looks at the back anyway.