Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Paper Arts Day

Yesterday our Paper Arts group at the Guild had a play at a technique that used PVA glue- watercolour paints and 0il pastels.
Usually I have problems when I am doing "art"techniques because I cannot visualise the finished picture.
But this time I took a leap of faith and bounded head first into the project and I was surprised at how easy it was.
I started with this picture which was from the front of a birthday card-----------







I then converted it to black and white-----------------






Next I had to do a colour wash over the black and white picture with watercolour paints and then rub over with oil pastels to add texture to certain areas.
This process was done several times to built up the colours-------







In the next two pictures you can see some gold hilites.
These two pictures were started before the above one because I had to draw around parts of the picture with PVA glue and then wait for it to dry---------------




Once the glue was dry I painted with the watercolour paints and the oil pastels until I was happy with the colours and then I ironed gold foil over the glue parts. .




I am happy with the results.


15 comments:

Janet said...

No wonder you're happy with the results! It's beautiful. And I bet it's even better in person when you can see the shimmer of the gold foil.

Penny said...

This sounds like a fun thing to try, can I come to your place and try it? Shame we are so far away.

Aussie Jo said...

Great results Doreen. I love the faded look of the first one.

Shane Pollard said...

Doreen, this is fantastic - I didn't realise you were a paint artiste too!
Which guild is it?
I went to my second embroiderers guild meeting yesterday and then my first stitch group meeting after that - v exciting for me!!!

Dot said...

Thanks for sharing the process Doreen. Love this - it must look even more beautiful in person.
Dot xx

Sandy said...

What fun. I like your results.

Heather said...

I'm with Penny on this one Doreen, but am even further away. What a fantastic technique and gorgeous results. Thanks for telling us about it.

Suztats said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I love what you've created.

Dotti said...

Your results are spectacular!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

My kids would say this was 'sweet' - which I suppose is their way of saying it's pretty darned nice (so...in the words of today...it's sweet!!)

Micki said...

I love how this turned out. Very nice!

Val said...

Fab Doreen - absolutely Fab. Really must have a go at this - would make a beautiful card! Did you print the black and white pic. onto photo paper or just copy paper - or something more special?

shirley said...

Doreen, this I just love, love, love, you lucky duck having access to these creative challenges.

Now I have another "must" to add to my list when I move..."must be able to be able to join a Guild"

carole brungar said...

This looks lovely, it would look nice framed, although I'd want to put my fingers all over it!
Have a good weekend my friend :))

Maggi said...

Wonderful results Doreen.