Saturday, September 13, 2008

Not quite a Dressel

I know that I have been quiet lately but I have been busy making "stuff" for the Embroiderers Guild exhibition held on the last weekend in September.
Most of the things I exhibit are not the traditional embroidery items and this year is no exception.
We do have a very active Creative and Machine Embroidery group and now an Embellisher group has been added to the ME group.
This year I have made a few wall art pieces and also this "Not quite a Dressel" piece.
Lynda had an article in the June edition of Workshop on the Web about how to make a Dressel.
This piece started out to be a dressel -but I couldn't bring myself to slash the required lines in the piece of fabric that I made on the embellisher with a soldering iron.
I decided to make it into a "vase" and instead of the flowers going in the vase they are on the outside.
The base fabric was made as per the instructions in the article and I cut the flowers out of another piece then stitched 2 of them together to make a flowers.
These were hand stitched onto the base and then the copper coloured pearl beads were added for accent.
I also hand couched a Stef Francis thread around the flowers.




This is a view of the vase on it's side and you can just see the cord twisting around the flowers.





I am pleased with the end result.

16 comments:

Françoise said...

It's beautiful!
Looking forward to seeing your other pieces.

Doreen K. said...

Wow, awesome Doreen. Love the color. Beautiful work.

Unknown said...

Looks great Doreen!

Paula Hewitt said...

Lovely Doreen! Im looking forward to seeing your other bits too.

Maureen said...

A beautiful piece doreen!

Unknown said...

Fantastic Doreen, it looks great

Lynne said...

This is gorgeous Doreen, and so is the embellished piece of yours that Dale Rollerson posted on her blog - congratulations!

Linda’s Textiles said...

Your vase is beautiful Doreen, hope your exhibition goes well.

Sandy said...

What a great piece you created.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You should be proud of this piece! It's gorgeous. I love the colours and the flowers. How big is it?

Penny said...

Well done, it looks fantastic, I have been trying to find time to have a go but, well it will happen eventually.

Dot said...

Beautiful work Doreen - and I love the colors!

Val said...

WOW! No wonder you've been quiet lately - this is just inspired! Am off to Dale's blog to see which piece of yours she has on her blog?

Genie said...

Wonderful work Doreen

sharon young said...

What a beautiful piece, Doreen, I love the colours and textures and the flowers are the perfect finishing touch.

Debbi Baker said...

Just gorgeous Doreen!! You should be really thrilled with your efforts.