Saturday, June 2, 2007

How far can a piece of fabric go.

This is the saga of a much travelled piece of fabric.
The story begins in a room in Upton MA where the fabric begins its life being woven by Sue B
Now Sue had woven this fabric from sari silk threads and it was much adored by many people.
Sue made a bag and a padfolio from said fabric and there was a piece left over -which Sue said" if you left a message" on her blog she would give the remnant to one of these people.
Well about 70 people left a message and the "winner" was Sandy Jandik in La Center WA.
Sandy made a vest which included the "fabric"(the link will take you there but you will have to scroll down a short distance)
Now me being the canny person that I am and Sandy being a good freind of mine I asked her if there were any scraps left over could I have them.
Well as you can see I have received said scraps here in Canberra Australia. After I trimmed them up so that I would have straight edges I had a few scrappy bits left as you can see at the top of this photo(more about them later)
I then butted the pieces together and stitched them with grey monofilament thread.

The finished piece is about 17cmlong----



by about 12cm wide...



I then used gold thread and the zig zag stitch and did some meandering all over it.

I cut out a piece of black woollen fabric and stitched the said piece of "new"fabric onto it and then covered the edges with a lovely black braid ---added some black cord for the straps and left the ends unravelled to make tassels on the sides and attached an embellishment that I had made with the hot glue gun and.......
TA DAH one evening bag...which measures 19cm by 17cm.



I then sewed the mini scraps together and made 6 inchies which I forgot to take a photo of---but there will be 2 for Sue and 2 for Sandy and 2 for little old me .

16 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wonderful way to use up those wonderful scraps!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Doreen! That bag is fabulous! I love it that you used up the leftovers from Sandy's project and you did such a fantastic job with them. Wonderful!

Susan D said...

Very Stylish. Nothing went to waste then, recycling at its best.

Micki said...

Talk about recycling. I love your little bag.

Linda’s Textiles said...

Your bag is gorgeous Doreen, creative use of tiny leftover bits & I agree, it would be a shame not to use them, such beautiful fabric.

Val said...

I love the bag Doreen, it is just gorgeous and looks so rich and yummy - what a fabulous way to use up scraps.

Joei Rhode Island said...

Doreen....
The bag is great...but you are fabulous!!

The weaving really lended itself to your stitch magic.

Joei
Rhode Island

Sandy said...

Doreen, you really did a fantastic job. I love the bag. The ultimate in recycling. Sandy in La Center

Papoosue said...

Now that is the most gorgeous use of recycling I've seen yet! It's beautiful.

Dianne said...

Great bag! Sue's fabric is gorgeous, and love the black wool felt on the outside - well done on your recycling!!

Purple Missus said...

Well, you clever old thing you! Well done Doreen, you've made a fantastic bag there from some scraps. Such imagination.

Digitalgran said...

What more can I say, It's a wonderful story of a wonderful piece of weaving and the fantastic community of stitchers that this new technology has brought together. Where can it all end? What we need now is someone to discover the technology so we can say "Beam me up Scottie" then we can all pop over to see each other too.

Unknown said...

You're very good in recycling Doreen, it looks great!

Janet said...

Wow! Now that is really recycling! I love the bag....it's so elegant.

Annica said...

Well done Doreen! The bag looks wonderful!

Dot said...

Doreen - what a wonderful way to recycle. The bag must look even better in the flesh! By the way I went to The Thread Studio when I was in Perth and can see why you love it so. I was drooling at the wonderful colors and textures....yummm..